Thursday, October 4, 2018

My ID Is Gangnam Beauty: My Take!

Imafe from: https://www.dramafever.com/drama/5200/my-id-is-gangnam-beauty/


I am not sure if this post is an exception to my promise that I'll make this blog KDrama-free, or a beginning of more KDrama thoughts. But My ID is Gangnam Beauty is one of those drama that wreaked my innermost thoughts. It awakened my repressed insecurities, and why I am the way I am back then... back to those days -- university life, high school life. The drama subliminally unfolded a lot of my past thoughts, right on my screen. This drama just surely hits home. It is so relatable, that I am actually writing this post.

Why I am highly recommending this drama?
I rarely recommend Korean Drama. I believe everyone has their own choice of drama. I've been in this addiction for almost a decade now. I watched a LOT of Korean Drama. I can only recommend three drama: School f 2013 (my definition of friendship), Kill Me Heal Me (pyschological reasons) and Six Flying Dragons(sageuk/historical). My ID is Gangnam Beauty is very personal to me. It is more psychological, in a pyshoanalytical way. It kind of made me reflect on my self when I was at that age. Maybe this is the reason why a lot of viewers were hooked into it.

Well-written vs Cha Eun Woo's Face Genius
I stumbled upon this drama without knowing any of the cast. I started right on the first week of airing. I was wary of the synopsis. I am not a fan of superficial plots. When I saw plastic surgery, I almost skipped it. I saw university life, and I gave it a try. And it's one of the best decision I have ever made in my kdrama journey. After the first 2 episodes, I remember posting on FB that this drama got me bad. How? I felt like I was Kang Mirae right from episode 1. Kang Mirae's insecurities. Kang Mirae's fears. Kang Mirae's embarassments (which became a second-hand embarrasment). Kang Mirae's self-worth drawn out of her. Kang Mirae's desperate attempt to save herself from mental torture -- by doing a plastic surgery. Her struggles could be anybody's struggles. How each of us resolves them varies from one person to another. Although she studied hard, and even got accepted to a university, still, it is not enough for her to feel normal. The bullies and the society's standard just pushed her to the edge, that she opted to go through the knife. All of this -- was covered right on the first episode. And just like that, the rest of the drama tansport you into her journey of having that "new face". Did the ending justify her choice to change her face? No, it did not. But it makes you walk into her shoes. The entire drama will make you realize that you are not alone with those thoughts in your head. I know that a lot of viewers watched the drama for Cha Eun Woo (Do KyungSuk). Some even complained how stoic Cha Eun Woo was. But personally, Cha Eun Woo's portrayal of Do Kyung Suk helped a lot for his character to be believable. Most of the time, the handsome male lead is a jerk, a bully, an-all-that chaebol. Not on this drama. His cold-loner-stoic personality gives you hope that he could be real in this world. Do Kyung Suk reminded me of my HS crush. Someone whom you put on a pedestal, and someone whom you thought do not know of your existence. Cha Eun Woo's Face Genius brought a lot of viewers to the drama, but his protrayal of Do Kyung Suk would remind a lot of us, of that one "ideal person" in our life. It was not until Episode 12, when I heard the OST, Rainbow Falling, sang by him, that I actually took the moment to search about him and Astro. Beyond that, the characters just got me hooked all-in-all. The pacing makes you feel what the characters feel. The drama was that well-written.

Characters you won't forget.
In most drama, the plot usually focuses on the main leads, leaving the side-characters forgotten, or their arcs unresolved. This drama will make you remember all the characters. You may forget their names, but you will remember the characters. They portray the roles of people around you: your family, you friends, that bestfriend who fell in love with the guy you like or who likes you, the bullies, your classmates, that quiet classmate sitting at the corner, the mother-in-law you wish to have, that dad who don't want you to change anything in your life -- anybody. You will even wish for Do Kyung Suk's sister to have more screen time. That's how much relatable the characters are. People who are not superficial will appreciate the characters. They will understand every issue and concerns that every character, every episode would like to address to. It is not rocket science, because they are all normal issues. But most of the time they are issues we try to repress in our thoughts, all hoping that if we pretend to forget them, they will all go away. That's why this drama is so well-written, because it makes you face the issues.

Unforgetable/Unique moments in the drama.
        Second-hand humiliation/rejection when Kang Mirae professed her feelings to the boy she liked in MiddleSchol/HighSchool. Despite the fact that Mirae feels so ugly already, yet she took this tough decision to let the boy know she likes him. The rejection stings but seriously, that was one act of bravery. In the real world, that could really happen. That's why I trully admire the writer for making the girls in this drama really, really  strong. Honest confessions from girls in korean drama are so rare.
        When Do Kyung Suk told Mirae: "It sounds like what needed a surgery for is your unhealthy mindset!". Baamm! I did not expect that from him. And it made me appreciate his character more. As much as it hurts, Mirae needed those words. As much as she hates that moment, Kyung Suk made her think and rationalize her decisions. For me, this isthe  turning point of Mirae's character growth. This is the moment when Mirae second-guessed Kyung Suk as well. In the real world, for people who feel so little of themselves, some shocking honesty could actually jerk them. That is why I categorize this drama as my psychoanalysis favourite. It just touches so much soft spots on the psyche.
       When Do Kyung Suk told Mirae: "So right from the start, I have no chance." I think I lot of hearts were broken during this moment. Watching Kyung Suk so dejected, as he walks away from Mirae. Have you ever been told almost the same line as "How would you know what I want? Whom can I love?". Something to that effect. Mirae just blocking all possibilities of dating Kyung Suk because of what other people will say -- is just so real for people with a lot of insecurieties. But what Kyung Suk feels after actually hearing Mirae tell him why she doesn't wanna date is so frustrating. This is like telling the boy you like (and who likes you back) that he deserves someone better. And as much as it hurts Mirae to say that, it hurts Kyung Suk more to hear that. It's a very painful moment.
       When Do Kyung Suk says, "She is herself..."/"You are just you.." The sweetest line that could ever be said to someone you love. So simple, yet so honest. It is not a validation of someone's beauty/ugliness, dumbness/smartness, poorness/richness, jerkness/kindness. It's just loving someone for who they are.
        There's more, but this is my favourite moment -- Cha Eun Woo kissing properly. I used his name because this is VERY, VERY important. Cha Eun Woo (Do Kyung Suk) is a kpop idol. Just saying that is loaded already. I've seen a lot of kissing scene. New actors, idol-actors, popular actors. I did not expect that from Eun Woo. But that kissing scene speaks a lot of how he loves and respect Mirae for who she is. The moment before that was crucial to this kiss. And Cha Eun Woo delivering that un-idol-like kiss is the sweetest-surrender. He broke that idol-wall, and just go for the jugular of owning the character he is in. He deserves that New Actor Award. I've never seen such a natural kiss from any popular new actor I've watched -- Lee Min Ho, Park Boogum, Kim Hyung Joon, Park Hyun Shik, Yuk SungJae, and others. Most of them are cringe-worthy, if not flat. Cha Eun Woo delivered. It was bitter-sweet.

Social-Issues covered.
Insecurities
Bullying
Plastic Surgery
Sexism
Mental Health
Bolimia
Social Status

Is it worth watching?
This drama is for the insecure, the loner, the introvert, the weak and the bullied. If you are here to swoon for Cha Eun Woo, this is not the drama for you. If you are here for a rom-com, this is not the drama for you. This is for the lonely, the broken-hearted, the hopeless and the indifferent ones. This is for those who wants to understand other people's repressed thoughts. This is for you and me who think so little of ourselves.

My favourite lesson from the drama?
Never judge people from the way they look. Just because he looks like Do Kyung Suk, doesn't mean there is no chance he can like you. Give people a chance. You will never know until you open that door of chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment