Thursday, April 5, 2018

An Escape @ 40th


Trying something new!

It has been our goal to try something new each time we celebrate something. I, personally, do not like doing what everybody seems to do. I prefer to do things my way, the opinion of others be "you know what!". 

When I turned 40 five months ago, we celebrated by having a night cap with close friends, at this Filipino Bar with a live band playing. It's been a while since I have done this, so it was really a treat for me. I only wished the band played more Filipino songs. But who am I to complain. Live band.. booze.. good company. Enough said.

For my husbands 40th birthday this February, I decided to try something different again. A novelty is always a good thing. Escape Room!

So back then, I have a different notion when I first heard of this 2-word activity. Then, at one time, when I was at work, a colleague explain what it is this room. And it just made me curious ever since. 

Escape Room, is not an adult-only room. It's way, way, way more fun and General Admission! Escape Room is actually a Game Room. In plain words, it's like coming in a room to solve puzzles and unlock locks -- and try to get out within the time allotted (1 hour, 2 hours -- varies with every room). So here's our experience.

I signed us up into a Team vs Team game for an hour, with the Theme: Classroom. At first I was thinking of combining each team with some Gen X and some Millennials. When we got there, the combination did not happen. The Millennials decided to gang up against us, WISER Gen Xs. There were 5 of them nerds and 5 of us wise people. Hah! They really thought they're way ahead of this game. Guess what -- ? They are not. Just 2 in-locks away from us. BUT -- both teams not able to get out! The kids claimed they were 2 locks away. And because we are the humble-wise-grownups, we claimed the truth, and that we are 4 locks away. Or maybe make that 5 locks? 

Overall, it was an awesome hour of celebrating a birthday. I will not get into the details of what to expect inside -- coz that is pretty much the beauty of this game. Just do not expect anything to escape. It's worth it.. and it's an experience you wanna do again and again. 

You can book it as a 3-person game. or a Team vs Team. It is not a walk-in kind of game. Be sure to book it ahead. And just be yourself. Bring some common sense. and Do NOT overthink. 


Credits Image from: http://escaperoom.org

No comments:

Post a Comment